Skip to main content

Escape

At school, I currently work part time (9 hours / week) at the school eatery as a cashier. It's not the most glamorous job in the world, but I find it incredibly relaxing and fun. Which is contrary to general consensus--that a minimum wage job cannot be anything but hell on earth. I brought this up to my dad, proud in my unique ability to see the silver lining on what is considered to be a dark cloud. He then suggested that my part-time job didn't sound like a job, but rather an escape. An escape from the ordinary and mundane life of a student.

Is that true? Was working a cashier job an escape to me? It's true that the money doesn't really matter to me. If I think about it, what's truly special about working is the interaction I have with the countless students who pass by. I have more fun in those 3 hours of interaction than I do in any class or study session. I guess it was an escape after all.

This led me to think about what else in my life is an escape? Naturally, I arrived at video games. In the past, no matter how sad or depressed I was, playing video games would allow me to relax and forget about everything. When I had my wisdom tooth pulled out, I didn't even take any pain medications because I was too busy playing GTA4. That's the power of distraction that video games have over me.

Are escapes such a bad thing though? I'm not quite sure. But there seems to be a distinct correlation between my success and the amount of games I play. I like having the option of video games. I have been through some tough parts of my life by surrounding myself in the worlds of Azeroth or Runeterra. It's great that I have such an escape to run to when times get tough. But does this desensitize me? When does it get to the point where the slightest difficulty sends me running to video games' open arms?


On a side note, why is it that recent movies only depict Apple products? For example, when you think of the Mission Impossible film series, you don't think of Apple. I don't associate Apple with spy-gear and badassery, but there was nothing but iPads, iPhones, and Macs in MI4. What gives?
On a side side note, happy 2012!

Comments

Unknown said…
An escape is needed and definitely well-deserved, as long you have reason to escape. If you're stressed from working too hard and having a tough few days, doing what makes you relax is healthy. But if play video games because you don't want to face hardship, then there is a problem.

Popular posts from this blog

Jooble

Yesterday, I received an incredibly friendly email from an anonymous person who claimed to have read my blog and "loved it." Of course, because my blog is public and anybody can comment anonymously, I was a bit skeptical of this email. Yet, seeing as how this was the first ever "fan mail" I've ever received, I read the email. It wasn't fan mail, but it was an email from a person who works for a website called " Jooble ." Interested by his genuineness and heartfelt compliments of my blog, I took a quick glance at the website. Here's what he had to say about Jooble: Jooble operates in 45+ countries, so if you would like to find a job in other locations you may try to search jobs in: Argentina , Australia , Austria , Belgium , Belarus , Brazil , Canada , Chile , China Colombia , Czech Republic , Denmark , Spain , Finland , France , Germany , Greece , Hong Kong , Hungary , Italy , India , Indonesia , Ireland , Japan , Kazakhstan , Mexi...

Making a Board Game

Wanted to update my blog with what I've been up to recently. I made a board game and have been working on that full time for the past 3 or so months. The name is still WIP but it's tentatively set as "Our Modern Lives." It's a tile/card based map-building game. The goal is to achieve "Success" and "Happiness" before anyone else can by building your own route. Here are a few pictures of the current build (v1.20 Beta): On a side note, follow me on Instagram for more (semi-frequent) updates!

Connect With Me

This is a story about two best friends. They were the grow up like brothers kind of best friends. The chase girls together kind. The never rat the other out kind. The always true to each other thick and thin kind. You know what I mean. They were inseparable. One was named Adam, the other Bill. Adam was an artist. He loved all forms of art--film, paint, photo, everything. If it was created or captured, chances are, he's seen it. He kept a journal of his thoughts and mostly kept to himself--and, of course, Bill. He was what you might call a shy guy. Following his passions, he went to art school and graduated with an excellent education and a renewed passion for his art. Bill was a business man. He loved money, making deals, and shaking hands. If it was profitable or had even the slimmest chance of making money, chances are, he's done it. He rarely stays still and is constantly out and about. At the local bar, the club, restaurant, wherever the new hot spot was. He was what yo...