Skip to main content

#30daydeveloper - Day 19 - Cut the Fat

Hello! If this is your first time reading about my thirty day developer challenge, click here to go to the first post!
Oh my god, I think it's actually fun now. I've been playing my own game and it's quite entertaining. Of course it's nothing like what I first envisioned at all. From sound design down to the core gameplay mechanic, this game is nothing like what I had mocked up on the first day.
See the inventory on top? Those are the balls I am currently holding.
On with today's changes (in bullet format because I am lazy):
  • Removed click to flick mechanic of enemy balls
    • Not necessary anymore given the new gameplay mechanics
  • Removed ball worth
    • Didn't make sense to create an arbitrary incentive to have enemy balls collide with each other
  • Added a ton of new sounds and background music
    • Everything sounds so soothing now. Much different from the upbeat techno trance music I had in earlier versions
  • Added an "inventory" system for holding enemy balls.
    • Now when time stops, you "cash in" your inventory for points.
    • I want to implement score multipliers that depend on what you were holding in your inventory when you stop time.
      • Extra ten points if all ten were the same color
      • Extra twenty points for having at least one of every color
  • Removed the word "score" from the top
    • Didn't find it too aesthetically pleasing
  • Optimized the code a lot
    • Removed unnecessary loops and random console logs
So please, go ahead and try the game. Let me know what you think!


On a side note, I am actually genuinely excited about this. This is a great feeling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jooble

Yesterday, I received an incredibly friendly email from an anonymous person who claimed to have read my blog and "loved it." Of course, because my blog is public and anybody can comment anonymously, I was a bit skeptical of this email. Yet, seeing as how this was the first ever "fan mail" I've ever received, I read the email. It wasn't fan mail, but it was an email from a person who works for a website called " Jooble ." Interested by his genuineness and heartfelt compliments of my blog, I took a quick glance at the website. Here's what he had to say about Jooble: Jooble operates in 45+ countries, so if you would like to find a job in other locations you may try to search jobs in: Argentina , Australia , Austria , Belgium , Belarus , Brazil , Canada , Chile , China Colombia , Czech Republic , Denmark , Spain , Finland , France , Germany , Greece , Hong Kong , Hungary , Italy , India , Indonesia , Ireland , Japan , Kazakhstan , Mexi...

Making a Board Game

Wanted to update my blog with what I've been up to recently. I made a board game and have been working on that full time for the past 3 or so months. The name is still WIP but it's tentatively set as "Our Modern Lives." It's a tile/card based map-building game. The goal is to achieve "Success" and "Happiness" before anyone else can by building your own route. Here are a few pictures of the current build (v1.20 Beta): On a side note, follow me on Instagram for more (semi-frequent) updates!

Connect With Me

This is a story about two best friends. They were the grow up like brothers kind of best friends. The chase girls together kind. The never rat the other out kind. The always true to each other thick and thin kind. You know what I mean. They were inseparable. One was named Adam, the other Bill. Adam was an artist. He loved all forms of art--film, paint, photo, everything. If it was created or captured, chances are, he's seen it. He kept a journal of his thoughts and mostly kept to himself--and, of course, Bill. He was what you might call a shy guy. Following his passions, he went to art school and graduated with an excellent education and a renewed passion for his art. Bill was a business man. He loved money, making deals, and shaking hands. If it was profitable or had even the slimmest chance of making money, chances are, he's done it. He rarely stays still and is constantly out and about. At the local bar, the club, restaurant, wherever the new hot spot was. He was what yo...